I Was Born for This - A Review by Diza B.

I read ‘I Was Born for This’ by Alice Oseman a few months back, and I realized that it would be a great book to review for the last blog. I have read some of Oseman’s other books before, and I believe that her writing itself is not wonderful, slightly drab, and too straightforward, but her plots are the reason that her books are still fantastic. Somehow she always thinks of the most absurd and interesting plots that you just have to keep reading for. Although ‘I Was Born for This’ is not my favorite book in almost every way, it is my favorite plot since it’s absurdity and unironic irony made me obsessed. 

The book follows both a boy-band obsessed girl and a boy-band. Angel goes on a trip to her online friend, who is also obsessed with the band, to see a concert. When she gets there, she finds that her online friend also invited another online friend, a guy that is pretending to be a fan of the band to get closer to Angel’s online friend. Angel is disappointed since they don’t go to some fan events, and spend the time on dates with each other. Meanwhile, the boy-band is facing problems, as the members are struggling with the fame and rumors spread about romance between two of the three. With some luck, Angel unknowingly stumbles across the eccentric girlfriend of a band-member, and they exchange numbers. Angel then goes on many adventures with the boy-band, and eventually learns that her obsession is taking over her life. Amends are made, and she and the boy-band both end happier. 

This book seems to be a fanfiction about meeting and becoming the special person to save their favorite boy-band member. It seems very obvious that Alice Oseman wanted and daydreamed for that one day when her favorite boy-band member would ask her to save him and help him run away from the other crazy fans. And, due to knowing someone who loves one direction, I have learned about the details that overlap with them and this boy-band. If someone told me that Alice Oseman liked one direction, I would not be surprised. This book seemed to be her 17 year old daydream of meeting one of the band members. Besides; Angel, Alice, if you switch up the letters in Alice and replace two letters… 

Despite the fanfiction-like plot, I couldn’t stop telling people about the little details and how silly it all was while I read it. Somehow Oseman made the plot both perfect for people who are obsessed with a band and for those who are not. The plot twists and stupid drama were silly jokes, but I can imagine a boy-band obsess-er being obsessed with the book unironically. Personally, I think that this book is perfection from an ironic standpoint and it is also a wonderful representation of her wonderful plots and straightforward writing. The writing just states the actions in the story, and the strange story keeps you reading.

 

 

- Diza :)

Comments

  1. Hi Diza, this sounds like an interesting story. Honestly, what kind of book isn't really a fanfiction of something. I've personally never been obsessed with a band, but I have seen the effects of it. My older sister had a falling out with a friend over who was Justin Bieber's "girl".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diza, I really liked your blog post! I've heard of Alice Oseman for Heartstopper! I think its interesting that this books reflects some stans wants of helping their band and showing that its not all that. It sounds like it demonstrates very well that people still have their own lives to live rather than centering themselves over someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Diza! While I haven't read any of Alice Oseman's books, I've heard good things about them, and as a lover of books with interesting plots, I think that I should try reading one of them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diza, This sounds like a cool book to read. I like your summary of the book and it gives a clear picture of what the book was about. Nice Review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts