Yerba Buena - Review by Emmie Vargas



The definition of Yerba Buena is an aromatic herb with white or lilac flowers. Many Natives use them medically and as tea. Yerba Buena is sourced in California which is where our story starts. Sara is our protagonist in this story. She and her "friend" Emilie have a strong bond and keep each other afloat throughout the hardships of their adolescent years. After something dreadful happens to Emilie, Sara searches for answers, and her mind spins. Without the woman she depended on, she falls deep into depression and feels as if she can't move on in this town with the glimpses of her presence. We see how she experiences suffering, intimate relationships, and masses of miseries that plague her life to come. She runs away from her small town, leaving behind her family and the life she used to love. She tries to forget the things that damage her as a teen by creating a new personality and career for herself. After years and years of growth, Sara is now a renowned bartender working in a contemporary restaurant with cocktails that are mysterious as her. Across the city, Emilie is a lost soul. She is lost in what to do in her life. She yearns to branch out and cultivate a career like her Creole grandparents. On a whim, she is offered a job arranging flowers at a new modern restaurant named "Yerba Buena". She finds the community she longs for and a sprouting romance with the owner of the restaurant. On one ordinary day, they cross paths and reconnected as new people with loose threads of their pasts. Through this novel, the reader sees these women learn to live with the past and present. 




       Yerba Buena was most likely the most captivating novel I have read in a while. I adore this book from start to finish. I am a sucker for a good mystery plot, but this story's twist intrigued me even more. I have read Nina LaCour's previous novels such as "We are okay" and I can see the writing similarities in both stories. LaCour has a certain way to explained relationships, whether platonic or romantic. In this novel, she describes Emilie and Sara's relationship so vividly that it almost makes you feel as if you are one of the characters in the novel itself. This novel had me on my toes during the entire read. The plot is well done and keeps the reader entertained. LaCour uses suspense, thrill, and playfulness to guide the reader through this incredibly dense read. The book is directed at readers who are looking for a good read and people truly letting go of their past and stepping into their much brighter future. I would rate this novel a 4 out of 5 coffee cups. 

Rating - 4/5 

☕️ ☕️ ☕️ ☕️






















 

Comments

  1. Emmie, great review! You did a nice job giving enough detail to understand in the summary without spoiling anything. I too love a good mystery novel, and I am interested to know how this story's twist is even more intriguing. You sounded very genuine when describing your opinion on the book, and I will definitely be reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the story has made me very interested in reading it. I like the idea of lost friendships as a plot point in fiction. I also appreciate books that transcend the classic teen-drama style and mature and enhance the lives of the characters more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you summarized the story while still leaving us wanting to know how it ends. I read "The Disenchantments" which is by this same author and I agree that the things she writes about are very captivating. Hopefully I will be able to read this book sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds so sweet! Your writing is concise but captivating, and now I'm intrigued. And I love how you traced the importance of the yerba buena flower through the story! Also, I think your description of how that one incident in Emilie and Sarah's lives when they were teens affected their present, and I think your writing about how they got to know each other again is amazing. Great review Emmie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, Emmie! Your review was very concise, and you introduced the story in a way that sounds compelling. I like how you give some background on the yerba buena flower and talk about the story in a way that sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of stories with complex characters and relationships, so I'll be sure to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts