Review of Trung Le Nguyen's 'The Magic Fish' by Diza Baryshnikov

 

'The Magic Fish' by Trung Le Nguyen is the one of the best graphic novels I have ever read. Everything about the book is absolutely 👌. I have reread it over and over again because I just can't get over how good it is, both the writing and the art is beautiful. I strongly encourage everyone to read it, whether or not you like graphic novels.

 'The Magic Fish' follows a thirteen year old Vietnamese boy, Tiến, whose mom speaks mostly Vietnamese while he speaks mostly English. He and his mom read fairy tales every night to practice English. Nguyen's beautiful art brings the fantastical fairy tales to life. At school, Tiến is revealed to have a crush on his male best friend. He knows that he is gay but since there is no word for it in Vietnamese, he is struggling to come out to his mom. Meanwhile, his grandmother whom they had immigrated away from, dies. Tiến's mother takes a plane to get there as soon as possible and has a conversation with her aunt. Her aunt explains the Vietnamese version of the fairy tale 'Cinderella', a much more gruesome story than what Disney showed us. Back in America, Tiến goes to a dance where he asks his crush if he is gay. Although he says no, they dance and appreciate their friendship. A teacher notices them and has him go to a counselor during school, and calls his mom. Later that night, when he is feeling bad and struggles to confront his mom, his mom finishes one of their fairy tales and alters the ending to have the little mermaid end up with the girl, showing that she accepts him.

 Something about the bittersweet unrequited love, life with immigrant parents, beautiful fairy tales, and acceptance creates a breathtaking book. It is quite mystical to read. You get sucked in to the story after reading the first page. I think that Nguyen put a perfect balance of sadness, sweetness, and humor, adding lots of depth. I will warn you that there is a bit of blood and cannibalism in the Vietnamese version of 'Cinderella', so if you would rather not read about topics like that then I suggest you try to avoid that part. I guess if I had to rate this, I would give it 10 out of 5 magic fish because I was not expecting myself to fall in love with what started out as a random kindle find. This book went above and beyond for me, and widened my point of view on things. :]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Loved this review! This graphic novel sounds so interesting. I liked how you described this book as "mystical to read." I will definitely be checking this book out when I can! Great job Diza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This story seems very interesting and you did a great job describing the things that really make this book interesting. I'll be asking to borrow it from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really good book! I would love to read it to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this seems like a really good book with a good concept, the only thing i would say is to show one of the pictures in the book. It is a graphic novel and you said it had good drawing show that. otherwise great writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover picture that I put has a drawing of Tiến and a mermaid, and I think that it captures the overall art style. If you want to see more illustrations, you should read the book!

      Delete
  5. Hi Diza,
    I have heard your talking about this book very fondly in the hallway and was wondering what it was about. It sounds interesting! I think I am going to read the Vietnamese version of Cinderella to see the differences between the Disney version. You said that this book changed your perspective on a lot of things. I was wondering what one specfic thing it changed your perspective on is.
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One way that the book widened my perspective was by displaying a point of view that I had not yet thought about; a kid who is struggling to even find the words to be able to come out. I felt it was very interesting to think about.

      Delete
  6. I loved this review! This book sounds super interesting. I might read this book out when I can! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds amazing! I'm definitely adding it to my reading list. You made this book seem mystical yet relatable which sounds really cool. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing review Diza! The plot of this book seems, as you phrased "Magic Fish", absolutely 👌. I would love to read this book to see what will happen and to learn more about these fantastical fairy tales that Tien comes across.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts