An Elevating Story with Elevation (Stephen King) - Review by Kyle Fan

Summary    

    Scott Carey is a rather plump man. His body is composed of a fair amount of muscle and a fairer amount of fat. One day, for the first time in a while, he works up the courage to step on the scale. His weight clocks in at 240 pounds, humbling but not unexpected. The next day, Scott comes in at 239, by the end of the week his weight is 230 pounds, and by the end of the month his weight his has dropped to 212 pounds. His diet still comprises of the same monstrous meals it used to, and his body hasn't changed in the slightest. Even more perplexingly, no matter how heavy or light the clothes he puts on are, his weight remains the same. That day, after reaching 212 pounds, he decides to visit his good friend Bob Ellis, a retired doctor.



Review

    Stephen King is a renowned and perhaps somewhat infamous author of supernatural horror and suspense novels (like It). But don't worry horror haters, Elevation is far from what you'd expect out of King. Elevation is a feel good book about growth; the growth of Scott Carey in the midst of a life turning mystery, the growth of Scott's new neighbors as they let down their fortified walls and constant wariness and begin to associate with those around them, and the growth of Scott's orthodox town as it stops excluding and harassing a new lesbian couple. Elevation leaves you elevated. It leaves you with a glowing warmness, perhaps mixed with a few tears. This novel doesn't suite everybody; it doesn't have intense action and battle, or even colorful romance. But what this short, only 140 page book does have is well made character interactions and considerable triumph all wrapped up snugly with an imaginative ending.

    
Rating

    I would rate elevation 8 killer clowns out of 10, because it is a very lovable novella, but you have to be in the right mood to read it.
    

Comments

  1. Hey Kyle, I loved how you wrote this review like you were having a conversation with the reader. you really convinced me to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kyle, I really liked how you were able to share that there is a message of growth in this story. Knowing that this story is not just a horror story and shares other important ideas as some would assume from an author like King will help convince the horror haters. The wording of your post also made it enjoyable to read and is certainly making me want to try out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyle Fan! Great book review! I have never read this book before, but it looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kyle, I like how you summarized the story. It made me interested to read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kyle, I enjoyed how you used killer clowns as your rating system. It sounds like a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your summary of the book actually had me hooked, and I am curious to read more. I might just try out this book since the mystery of it has drawn me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read other Stephen king books, but I haven't read this. It sounds very interesting and I've definitely been convinced to check it out. I really liked the way you wrote your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved how you used killer clowns to rate your book. This is a new and original way of rating books! This book sounds very interesting. I will read it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your blog post Kyle! It really got me interested and maybe will get me to read another Stephen King novel. I never expected this out of Stephen King, because he is a horror writer and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kyle,
    Your summary of the book leaves me wanting to know more. Was the scale simply broken? Did the main character have some disease? I might have to read the book to find out!
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a Stephen King book last year but it was a bit slow. It sounds interesting though. I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Kyle, Man I hate how how you didn't tell us why the scale said his weight was going down. Now it seems so offputting that the novel ended up not being so scary, cus it built so much suspense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts